You may want to visit a gym before signing up — it can be the best way to tell if it is the right place for you. There are many ways to go about this, but here are a few ideas you can use to get inside and see things for yourself:
- Visit the club with a friend. Many health clubs offer free passes to members so that they can bring a pal to the facility periodically.
- Get a day pass. See if the gym will allow you to use the facility for a day or pay a small fee to try out the equipment. You may need to sign a waiver to do so.
- Try out a class. Some health clubs will allow non-members to take exercise classes or sample circuit training there for a per class fee. If you can take advantage of this, it is a great way to get a feel for the fitness center and see if you like it.
- Consider a trial membership. Some gyms will offer summer only memberships or have trial memberships for potential customers. It doesn’t hurt to check.
- Ask for a tour. Most gyms will give you a basic tour of their facility at no cost.
- Ask around. If you are not able to get inside the gym for a look, ask others for information on the place. Be sure to include specific questions on anything you are particularly curious about.